The pasta all Greeks grew up eating. Hilopitaki brings childhood memories to everyone. This traditional ‘village’ recipe is the one yiayia would make to feed her large, hungry family!
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the chicken pieces and brown them for a few minutes on every side.
- Add the onions and sautee for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, the stock or water and cinnamon, salt and pepper and let boil, covered, for about 50 minutes. The chicken must be done at this stage.
- Remove it from the pot, and place on a serving platter, covered so it doesn’t get cold.
- Add the Hilopitaki pasta to the pot, bring to a boil and let boil for 2 minutes. Add the chicken back to the pot, turn the heat off, cover the pot and let the food stand for 10 minutes.
- The food is done when the pasta is cooked and the remaining sauce is moderate. Add grated cheese and serve immediately.